I have over 15 years of experience in coordinating, hosting and publicizing in various realms. During this time I formed and grew organizations with differing purposes through developing marketing materials, hosting events, creating visibility in target community and on Internet, and gaining publicity in print, radio, TV and online media.
Communications: Represented multiple organizations through written and verbal communications to individuals, groups, online communities, and the media.
Project Management: Managed the planning and implementation of events, seminars, and candidate forums by recruiting speakers, displayers and volunteers; arranging event venues; orchestrating publicity.
Writing & Research: Produced articles for a variety of print and online publications and developed copy for websites, brochures, advertisements, press releases and PSAs through gathering organizational information, researching documents and online resources, conducting interviews and reviewing products.
Sea Scouts, BSA
Skipper (scoutmaster) 2007-2011
Developed organization, recruited youth and adult members, planned events and activities, provided leadership and mentoring to scouts, created wide variety of documents, managed electronic posting and filling of documents, developed partnerships with area organizations and individuals, worked with parents to foster scouts’ development. Wrote press releases and articles for local, statewide and regional publications. Produced promotional publications and assisted with development of display materials. Administered website, email lists, Facebook account.
• Built organization from 3 adult members and 1 scout to 16 scouts and 34 supporting adults.
• Recipient of National Capitol Area Council (NCAC) Commodore’s Award for creating and administering “Save der PeLiKan” campaign that raised over $23,000.
• Other Awards and Recognitions: noted in the Congressional Record, 2010. NCAC Venturing Advisor Award of Merit, 2009. NCAC Sea Scout Wardroom Outstanding Skipper of the Year, 2008.
Spearheaded drive to raise over $20,000 to repair regional Sea Scout training vessel. Created website, opened and administered PayPal account, tracked payments, created reports. Produced and launched press releases and appeals, helped develop marketing materials, consulted on fund raising events.
• Efforts resulted in two news reports published locally, and one regionally.
• Four articles published in the News & Messenger.
• Received Sea Scout National Capitol Area Council’s Commodore’s Award for fund raising.
Headed promotional efforts for statewide conferences and seminars producing press releases, website content, and email announcements to draw in targeted audiences. Developed display literature and other marketing material for events. Administered website.
• Represented organization in television, radio, and print including News Channel 8, CNN, German Public Radio.
• Created organizational branding through name change, motto creation, and logo development.
• Developed strategies that more than doubled membership and tripled e-newsletter subscriptions in one year.
• Launched initial website, creating majority of website content and design.
• Created and chaired the PR Committee.
• Created and hosted Beginning Homeschooling seminars and enrolled other speakers.
August 1998 – March 2010
Education and awareness volunteer and author/speaker. Coordinated workshops, laid out marketing materials, provided newsletter content.
• Coordinated and hosted several workshops.
• Coordinated and created displays at Prince William County governmental buildings.
• Spokesperson for two television public service announcements.
• Presenter at 3 public events, including a professional conference.
• Garnered reporter News & Messenger reporter Josh Eiserike’s piece, “Homeschool Theatre Troupe presents Dickens tale” for “A Tale of Two Cities.”
• Obtained coverage for the production of “The Thirteen Clocks” and “Many Moons,” in article titled In a land where time stands still , published on front page of the “Arts” section of The Potomac News.
Family Oriented Learning Cooperative (FOLC)
Founder; Event Coordinator; PR Coordinator. 1997-2005
Created organization and brought it to over 150 member families. Moderated meetings, initiated clubs, classes and events. Led and publicized meetings. Coordinated groups of ten to 30 people in various settings and capacities such as meetings, open houses, candidate forums, field trips and seminars.
- Created largest, most active statewide discussion list in Virginia, used as model by homeschool list owners around the country.
- Drafted portion of Prince William County Schools regulation and worked with school board to steer it through to adoption by unanimous vote.
- Spearheaded plan that successfully lobbied to improve Prince William County School regulation.
- Co-created area’s first “Homeschool to College” seminar with recruiter from Old Dominion University in 1999.
Belmont Bay Science Center (SciencePort)
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator, “Dog Days of August” event. Coordinator, “Emergency 9-11!” event.