The weather forecast for today was not good, but, as we have learned with our evening sails, the forecast is often wrong. Policy for evening sails has been “unless it is raining already, show up and see conditions at the dock, then decide
.” This avoided cancellation of at least two sails that would not have happened if we had relied on the weather report. I sent out an email stating that, “it is currently not raining in Woodbridge. I have already put my work–several hours’ worth–into this event: writing a proposal for the Occoquan Town Council, skipping my bike ride in order to address the Council at a meeting, calling the business- and property owners, writing a press release and sending it out to the media and to three major email lists (which resulted in inquiries from two potential new members), creating a flier and some handouts, appealing to friends, and talking it up right and left. I have even garnered $60 in donations, with another $50 very likely. I am not going to do this work again; next time it will be up to you scouts, entirely. It is also up to you whether you keep your commitment today and show up willing to give it a try.
They did show up, the weather turned good, the scouts and adults worked hard, and our ship came away with over $300 in donations for the effort–and that doesn’t even include the $110 I collected from 3 friends.
Aside from feeling ownership of the treasury, these scouts will be rewarded with funds to their Scout Accounts, which they can use toward boating activities, training, uniforms, and other related items.